1. The bed will be filled with good-quality potting soil or compost. Just rake the
surface smooth and level. Remove any rocks or debris.
2. Plants in raised beds may be spaced a little closer together because fertilizer
and manure can be concentrated in the small gardening area.
3. Plant lettuce by poking holes in the soil with your finger at 6" intervals, and
sprinkle a few seeds into each hole. Once the seeds germinate, thin to one
seedling per hole.
4. You can also broadcast seeds over the surface of the raised bed. If you plant
carrots, apply fine-textured potting soil over the top of the seeds. Carrots will
attract some species of butterflies to your raised beds.
5. Cucumbers may be planted along the edge of the raised bed, where they can
trail over the side.
6. Water the garden well immediately after planting.
7.Raised gardens that are left abandoned will be given to another family so make
sure to pay close attention to your garden.